Seven Steps to Weight Loss Surgery
Your personal weight loss journey might look different from others. You may already know exactly what you want to do, or you may be on the fence and interested in learning more. Wherever you are in the process, there are seven typical steps to weight loss surgery. If you have any questions along the way, our team is here to help.
What to Expect in the Bariatric Process
- Ask around. Reaching out to a friend or a relative who’s had weight loss surgery is a great place to start. You may also want to attend seminars and educational events to hear advice, tips and personal testimonials.
- Do your research. Learn from credible online sources, such as the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons’ website. You can also check out the Services page on our website to learn more about weight loss surgery.
- Talk to your doctor. Make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your weight, your individual health risks, and if surgery is right for you.
- Go to a hospital class or meeting. We offer seminars and classes about our weight loss options. Register to save your spot and attend these events so you can gather informational materials, take notes and ask questions.
- Choose a surgeon or hospital. Insurance may limit your choice of surgeon or hospital, so start there to understand your options. Our team can help you through the process of getting pre-authorized for your procedure.
- Pre-surgery process. An important part of the weight loss surgery journey is the pre-surgery program, which usually consists of a supervised weight loss attempt that can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months depending on your program’s guidelines. After this process, you will then have a pre-operative appointment to go over any last-minute details before surgery.
- Have your surgery. If it’s right for you, you’ll move forward with the surgery and on to a healthier you.
Sign Up for Health Tips
Get our advice and upcoming events about weight, pain, heart and more.