Safe Sleeping for Baby in Bexar CountyAug 16, 2017
To help solve the problem, Baptist Health System hospitals have incorporated safe sleep practices and education on infant safe sleep into hospital practices, resulting in recognition by the National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification Program. St. Luke’s Baptist, North Central Baptist, Northeast Baptist and Baptist Medical Center in San Antonio and Resolute Health Hospital in New Braunfels are some of the first hospitals in Texas to receive the title. The certification is given to hospitals dedicated to preventing infant sleep-related deaths due to accidental suffocation. The hospital provides patient and staff education, modeling of safe sleep behaviors for parents during the baby’s hospital stay, and takes part in community partnerships. Some of the efforts the hospitals have undertaken include:
- Replacing hospital use receiving blankets with wearable sleep sacs.
- Patient education including Safe Slumber handouts and review of safe sleep practices during the newborn’s stay
- Staff education on safe sleep practices
- Staff models and encourages parents to follow safe sleep policy, and document safe sleep practices
- Provides a take home sleep sac for each newborn