When to Go to an ER
For Emergency Care, Seconds Can Count
When a serious health emergency or injury occurs, seconds can matter. At Baptist Health System, we understand that emergencies are never convenient — but we are. At our five Baptist Emergency Hospital locations, you can be seen by a doctor within 15 minutes—That's Baptist Care.
From the moment you enter our doors, our dedicated staff of emergency room doctors and medical professionals make it their mission to provide compassionate, world-class care.
Choosing Emergency Care
So when should you visit us? If you or a loved one is in danger of dying or suffering from a serious illness or injury, you need to get to an emergency room fast. The following symptoms or situations are a sure sign of a medical emergency and require immediate attention. Call 911 or visit your nearest emergency room immediately if you experience:
- Difficulty breathing or choking
- Severe head injury
- Injury to your neck or spine, especially if there is loss of feeling or movement
- Serious burn or burn over a large part of your body
- Severe chest pain or pressure
- Passing out or fainting suddenly
- Unusual or intense headache that comes on fast
- Inability to speak, see or move
- Sudden weak or drooping sensation on one side of the body
- Inhalation of smoke or poisonous fumes
- Broken bone, especially if the bone is pushing through the skin
- Deep wound or heavy bleeding
- Coughing or throwing up blood
- Severe, debilitating pain anywhere on your body
- Serious allergic reaction with trouble breathing or swelling
- High fever that doesn’t improve with medicine
- Electric shock or lightning strike
- Suicidal thoughts/thoughts of hurting yourself or others
Online Emergency Room Check-in
If the problem you’re experiencing is not life-threatening but requires urgent medical care, such as a minor wound, burn or sprain, you can schedule an appointment to visit one of our emergency departments through our online emergency check-in.
Baptist is proud to offer online self-scheduling that enables you to check-in for estimated treatment times at ERs or book appointments for health care services. If your health care need is not urgent, our referral specialists are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to help you find a doctor who’s right for you. Call (866) 309-2873.