Weight Loss Surgery
Helping You Reach Your Weight-Loss Goals
When diet, exercise and medications have failed, it may be time to consider weight-loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery.
Why Choose Baptist?
The Baptist Center for Weight Loss offers exceptional care with doctors and nurses specially trained in all aspects of bariatric care. Here are a few more reasons to choose Baptist for your weight-loss surgery:
- Our bariatric surgeons are fellowship-trained with years of experience in surgical weight loss.
- The Baptist Center for Weight Loss is accredited by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence and is the Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery in San Antonio.
- All-in-one comprehensive approach to care in a state-of-the art facility. From seminar to surgery to postoperative therapy, our dedicated staff coordinates your care, making your journey toward better health an easier one.
- We offer a variety of surgical options, including gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy and adjustable gastric band, to find the approach that’s right for your needs.
Our experienced surgeons and caring staff are here to help you reach your goal of a healthy and more active life. At the Baptist Center for Weight Loss, our bariatric doctors, nurses and surgeons will be with you through every step of your weight-loss journey. Our commitment to your health doesn’t end after you walk out our door, you’ll receive a personalized plan to ensure your continued success through education, support and a variety of exercise programs.
Benefits of Weight-loss Surgery
We know that surgery can be a scary prospect for most people, but it’s important to remember that the benefits of weight loss outweigh the risks associated with surgery. Weight-loss surgery has benefits beyond weight loss as well, including:
- Long-term remission or reversal of type 2 diabetes.*
- Improved mobility and increased energy.
- Lowered risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke.
- Reduced or eliminated joint pain.
- Improved mood and feelings of wellbeing.
- Increased self-esteem and confidence.
*A study by the National Institutes of Health found that 10 to 15 years after having weight-loss surgery, obese patients were less likely to develop — and more likely to recover from — type 2 diabetes and other heart disease risk factors. These patients also showed an almost 25 percent reduction in early death, compared with obese patients who didn't have the procedure.
Are You a Good Candidate for Weight-Loss Surgery?
If you’re more than 100 pounds overweight, but are otherwise healthy, you’re likely a good candidate for weight-loss surgery. Weight-loss surgery is typically recommended for adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater. However, if you have a serious health condition, such as diabetes or heart disease, you may want to look into surgery if your BMI is between 35 and 39.
It's important to consider how ready you are to make a change. Every weight-loss procedure requires you to commit to a lifetime of healthy eating and regular exercise. Ask the weight-loss specialists at Baptist for an opinion on your options and know that we’re here for you, every step of the way.
Complete our online weight-loss surgery risk assessment to help you decide if weight-loss surgery might be an option for you.
With our easy-to-use weight-loss surgery assessment tool, you can:
- Learn your weight category and if you should lose weight.
- Discover if weight-loss surgery may be the right option for you.
- Identify your weight-related issues and conditions.
Helping You on the Road to Fitness
At Baptist, our commitment to your health doesn’t end after weight-loss surgery. Exercise is a necessary part of your new healthy lifestyle, and we make it convenient with multiple locations throughout San Antonio.
HealthLink is a system of health and fitness centers open to the public offering month-to-month memberships. As an extension of the Baptist Health System, the staff at HealthLink works with your doctor to develop a results-driven program specific to your current fitness level and goals. Physical therapy services are also available with a doctor's referral.
HealthLink provides a wide range of services, including:
- Personal training
- Aerobics classes
- Water exercise
- Indoor pools
- Fitness assessment
- Individualized exercise planning
- Health education classes
- Lifestyle counseling
- Nutritional coaching
- Blood pressure monitoring
Make an Appointment
When you are ready to make a change for the better, contact the experts at the Baptist Center for Weight Loss. For more information or to schedule a consultation, call (855) 755-LOSE.