The Baptist Brain & Stroke Network
Baptist Health System is proud to offer the city's first Brain & Stroke Network, providing lifesaving stroke treatment close to home. We're the first hospital system in San Antonio to offer a Comprehensive Stroke facility at St. Luke’s Baptist
Hospital, providing the highest level of stroke care available. Our Thrombectomy-Capable/Primary Plus Stroke Center at Northeast Baptist Hospital is the first of its kind in the state of Texas. Our other facilities are Primary Stroke Center certified, making us qualified
to treat you quickly and according to the best stroke practices.
Comprehensive Stroke Center
The Comprehensive Stroke Center program is the most rigorous certification for stroke facilities, designed for hospitals that have the specific ability to receive and treat the most complex stroke cases. This is the highest level of accreditation for
stroke treatment centers.
St. Luke’s Baptist Hospital is Baptist Health System's Comprehensive Stroke Center and is the first
in San Antonio to offer the highest level of stroke care available, offering the utmost in critical stroke care before, during and after treatment.
Comprehensive Stroke Center capabilities (includes Primary and Primary Plus capabilities):
- Acute management of subdural hematomas with craniotomy
- Acute management of ruptured and unruptured cerebral aneurysms
- Diagnosis and/or embolization of AVMs
- Advanced Imaging Capabilities
- General & Vascular Neurology Services
- Advanced Cranial and Spinal Neurosurgery Services
- Cranial/skull based services: Neuro Trauma, Neuro-onc. Pituitary
- Spine Services: Degenerative, posterior cervical & lumbar, spinal tumor, multilevel fusion
- Dedicated Neuroscience ICU
- Designated Stroke Patient Navigator
Primary Plus Stroke Center
Primary Plus Stroke Centers meet rigorous standards for performing endovascular thrombectomy and offering advanced post-procedural care.
Northeast Baptist Hospital is a Primary Plus Stroke Center, providing mechanical thrombectomies, access to clot-busting drugs and expert stroke care.
Primary Plus Stroke Center capabilities (includes Primary Stroke capabilities):
- Mechanical Thrombectomy capable for acute management of large vessel occlusion ischemic stroke
- Diagnostic catheter angiography
- Elective revascularization of large cerebral vessel stenosis with stenting
- Acute management of cerebral vasospasm following subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Neurodiagnostics- routine and continuous EEG monitoring
- Designated ICU beds for complex stroke patients
Primary Stroke Center
The Joint Commission offers different levels of certification for stroke facilities. We're proud to be the first hospital system in San Antonio to have five of our area hospitals achieve Primary Stroke Center Certification.
The following Baptist
Hospital locations are accredited Primary Stroke Centers:
- Baptist Medical Center
- Mission Trail Baptist Hospital
- North Central Baptist Hospital
- Northeast Baptist Hospital (Primary Plus)
- St. Luke's Baptist Hospital
Primary Stroke Center capabilities:
- IV Thrombolytic to break up blood clots
- CT & CT-Angio for Rapid Imaging
- General Neurology Services