A history of compassionate care and service
The Baptist Health System story began in 1903 when 30 physician members of the Bexar County Medical Society joined with more than two dozen businesspeople and professionals to organize the San Antonio Associated Charities. As the community grew, so did the need for healthcare services. Over 100 years later, Baptist Health System includes acute care hospitals, urgent care clinics, imaging centers and free-standing emergency departments. Our commitment remains the same – to help people achieve health for life through compassionate service inspired by faith.
Baptist Health System – A history of firsts
When we look back, we’re proud of our facilities and improvements that enable us to serve patients and families with excellence. We have a history of seeking ways to improve care. And that creates a list of firsts in healthcare in the San Antonio area:
- First eye bank in San Antonio to procure tissue for corneal transplant surgery
- First patient/consumer representative program in San Antonio
- First coronary care facility dedicated to the care of heart patients in San Antonio
- First social service department to assist patients and their families
- First CT scanner in Texas
- First percutaneous (through the skin) removal of kidney stones in San Antonio
- First hospital in San Antonio with technology to repair torn retinas.
- First hospital in Texas with research on the treatment of glaucoma with therapeutic ultrasound
- First private hospital in the city
- One of the first U.S. hospitals to perform autologous bone marrow transplants
- First artificial ligament transplant in South Texas
- First private hospitals in San Antonio to use Color Flow Doppler to diagnose heart valve abnormalities
- First hospital-based osseointegration program for permanent tooth replacement
- First laparoscopic splenectomy in Texas
We have continued to update our hospitals to meet the healthcare needs of our community. You’ll find beautiful additions at Northeast Baptist, North Central Baptist, Mission Trail Baptist, Baptist Medical Center and our newest hospitals, Resolute Health in New Braunfels and Baptist Orthopedic Hospital.
Baptist Health System is part of Tenet Healthcare Corporation, with more than 100,000 employees and representation in 43 states. We remain connected to our faith-based mission and our relationship with the Baptist Health Foundation.
The Future of Baptist CareWe’re honored to be a recognized leader in healthcare in San Antonio and South Texas. Baptist was a historical partner with the Baptist General Convention of Texas between 1948 and 2003 with and today continues to serve as a faith-based entity in the Baptist traditions, is the fourth largest civilian employer in San Antonio, and is fully accredited by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). Each of our hospitals also has a designation as an Accredited Chest Pain Center.
We look forward to continuing to serve the needs of our patients and families through our Community Built on Care.